Thursday, July 23, 2009

Consider the Lilies...

I am a recovering worrier. When I became a mother almost fourteen years ago, I was stunned to find that with the tremendous love that I felt for my newborn son came a crushing sense of worry and fear for his safety. By the time that I was pregnant with our second son less than two years later, I was a full-blown mess. I was staying at home full-time and had become an insomniac. I would lie away at night, thinking of all of the things that could happen to my husband, my son, or to me. Looking back, it seems so absurd to allow fear to control me. My sweet husband bought me a book called When Mothers Pray that was a tremendous help to me. That book began a journey for me--a journey back to the heart of God.

At some point during this time, someone pointed out to me that in Matthew 6:25, Jesus says,"Do not worry." Since Jesus is God, then when He says not to do something, that means it is a command! It was as though a weight lifted from me. Of course, through the years, there has been a temptation to fall back into my old worrying habits. The book When Mothers Pray taught me some exercises to release my worries to God through prayer, which I still use when I am tempted to worry.

We have a painting above our bed that says, "Consider the lilies." This is a portion of Jesus' words in Matthew 6:25-34. It reminds me to place my trust in Jesus, because He loves me far more than the lilies of the field, and yet He cares for them. I wanted to put this sentiment above me while I lie in bed at night, when the temptation to worry is at its peak.

God bless you, Dear Friend, in whatever situation you find yourself in. May God keep you in His perfect peace, free from the worries that plague us,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment