Wednesday, April 15, 2009

True Woman Manifesto

Today was an interesting day. Wednesdays are my one day to get errands run and doctors appointments managed without the children. On my way to an appointment, I had the opportunity to listen to the radio program "Revive Our Hearts" with Nancy Lee DeMoss and Holly Elliff. They were discussing how the role of mothers has been devalued in our society, progressively and due to the feminist movement. What really got me hooked was something that Ms. Elliff related:

"Ann Crittendon says this. She was a feminist author/publicist who decided to have children. She said the first thing that surprised her was how creative she had to be, what a huge task it was, and how demanding it was. This was a woman who had spent her life in the secular world, in the workforce, and she was appalled at what was required of her to be a mother to her kids. She says:
'The second surprise came when I realized how little my former world seemed to understand or care about the complex reality I was discovering. The dominant culture of which I had been part considered child rearing unskilled labor if it considered child rearing at all. No one was stating the obvious.
If human abilities are the ultimate fount of economic progress, as many economists now agree, and if those abilities are nurtured or stunted in the early years, then mothers and other caregivers of the young are the most important producers in the economy. They do have literally the most important job in the world.' "(emphasis added)

As a stay-home mom and part-time mother's day out teacher, I can tell you that mothering is important and that children are valuable. Certainly, I believe that God is the Giver and Sustainer of life; therefore, if He entrusts my children's lives to me, He values my service as a mother. How grateful I am that God gives me the opportunity to be a parent. I do not take this for granted--ever. It is humbling, also, to realize that God has entrusted me with children and expects me to serve them, just as though I am serving Him!

I sought out the radio program on the internet when I got home. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ms. De Moss has also begun a True Woman Movement, designed to counter the feminist, anti-God movement. I also signed the True Woman Manifesto, and encourage you to do the same. Go to www.truewoman.com or www.reviveourhearts.com for more information. You can listen to the "Revive Our Hearts" Program and listen to some of the messages from the 2008 True Woman Conference.

Blessings and joy,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment