Friday, August 7, 2009

Accountability

Did you see that bad word up there? Yes, that's right, accountability. That word is anathema to so many in the Christian world. I have heard often from people that they are accountable to noone but God. While it is true that we are all accountable to God, we are also called to hold one another accountable (Gal. 6:1).

There is a difference between being the morality police in the church or in the community and lovingly restoring someone when they are involved in sinful action. Ultimately, accountability should be protective. If I know that a friend of mine is stealing from work, I should pray and then discuss this with her. Stealing is an offense before God, and also an offense to an employer. It would be wrong to allow someone to do something that jeopardizes her relationship with the Lord, her position at work, and her witness. The ramifications when one person is willfully disobedient to God are often long-lasting, like ripples in a pond.

About a year and a half ago, a friend of mine confronted me about something I had said to a mutual friend. I had shared information that I should not have; in short, I gossiped. I was terribly embarrassed and ashamed of my actions. I had to apologize for what I had said, and knew that it was important to make amends, as well. I vowed to spend time in prayer and to make myself accountable to others who would keep me honest about my speech and language. I have been involved in a prayer and accountability group with two trustworthy friends for some time now. I can honestly say that my speech has been far more God-honoring than it was. That does not mean that I do not face temptation, or that I never sin with my mouth. I have to watch carefully the positions that I put myself in, and be thoughtful about what I say. I begin each day with prayer, that God will "keep my tongue from evil and my lips from deceitful speech" (1 Peter 3:10).

Through the accountability group, the ladies and I now have a deeper, more meaningful friendship. We pray for one another honestly and are cautious about one another's temptations. I honor the trust that my friends have placed in me by not sharing things that are mentioned in our time together to others. Had I known how much I would gain from an accountability group--deeper friendship, spiritual maturity, prayer--I am sure that I would have joined one sooner.

If you are not involved in an accountability group, then consider joining one. It doesn't need to be formal or very big. No more than three people is ideal. Commit to bearing one another's burdens in a healthy, Christ-honoring way. You'll be better for it!

Blessings and peace to you,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment