Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I hope that it was a blessed Christmas for all of you out there in blog land.  It was a great day for us, and I am pleased with how the day went.  We don't often get snow in North Texas, and we got quite a bit last night.  This made it difficult for travelling, and meant that my parents were unable to join us last night.  However, as is true for Texas weather in general, the weather changed.  Today was a sunny and cold day, and the roads were a bit safer.  My parents joined us for lunch, and I have to say that lunch went well; which is to say that I didn't have any major catastrophes.  I cook turkey so infrequently that I have to admit to being a bit hesitant about how it would taste when we sat down.  As we sat down to lunch today and gave thanks, I thought about how blessed our family is and I rejoiced quietly.  We were able to have a nice meal, give our children gifts, and were able to be together on Christmas Day.  God is good.

As I reflect on the day's events, one thing stands out to me especially:  My youngest, Lily, was standing in front of my mother, and she said, "Thank you for giving me the fairy doll, MiMi."  That made my heart so glad.  Before the children opened their gifts this morning, I hoped that they would be grateful and feared for just a moment that they would not.  As much as we have talked with the children about Christmas being about Jesus' birth, God's greatest gift of love, I wondered whether or not we had talked about being grateful.  As it says in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:  "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  For one brief moment, I saw God's will being demonstrated in my daughter's life:  She was truly grateful for the gift that she had received.

I rejoice with all of you who share in the hope of Christ's birth, death, and resurrection.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!  I pray that I will never cease to give thanks for God's good gifts. 

May God's richest blessings flow over you,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment